Wednesday, February 17, 2010

2 New Cards & My Ankle News

I have two cards to share with you today. The first one is a baby girl card. The pram is cut from the new Mother's Day Cricut cartridge which I love. The sentiment is from a set of Kaiser rub ons and I have also used the Cuttlebug Swiss Dots embossing folder which I have to admit is one of my favourites. Kathleen is not fussed on it but I use it A LOT!

See, I told you that I used Swiss Dots a lot!! I also love to make white cards. Here is a very simple wedding card made with white card and silver foil card. The sentiment has been stamped with a stamp from the Papermania sentiment set we have in store. I have punched the daisy flowers with the EK Success medium Daisy punch. The EK Success border punch jazzes up the sentiment strip a little and finish off with ribbon and Kaiser pearls. The Kaiser pearls and rhinestones are self adhesive which makes them really easy to use (lots of customers still don't realise this so thought I would mention it).

My ankle is healing well but I did have a little trip on it yesterday and scared poor Kathleen. It is OK today but I have to tell you, I am looking forward to when this is all over. A broken ankle is a lesson in patience (something I don't have much of). I have a new appreciation for people with a physical disability and the effort it must take just to get through the daily activities that most of us take for granted.
I would like to thank all of our wonderful customers who emailed or phoned Kathleen when I broke my ankle to wish me a speedy recovery or who offered to help in any way they could. Some of you have even sent me books and cards, visited me and helped out in the shop. To you - THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. I doubt that you realise how even such a small act has impacted my life. And to Eliahn, Mum, Dad, John, Kathleen & Stephen - no words can convey my gratitude.
To keep you all up to date - my next operation is on the 10th March. The doctors will be removing a screw that extends the width of my ankle and is presently holding it all together. They will leave the metal plate and six other screws in my ankle (helps with stability I think). I can have these removed in 18 months or so if they are annoying me. After my operation I will be allowed to put full weight on my foot again and slowly start to walk again. Some customers have expressed their worry that I am not walking yet. Thank you for your concern but I can only go by what my doctors are telling me to do and at this point they are not allowing me to put pressure on my ankle due to the large screw holding it together. If that screw snaps it will halt the recovery process and make it much harder to remove the screw. I can not afford for the recovery process to take any longer than it already is and I don't want to snap the screw so I am following the doctors orders! Every injury is different and has a different recovery plan/process and while your past injury may have indicated that you should start walking at six weeks mine doesn't. I met patients at the hospital who didn't get their cast off until much later than mine was able to come off so you see we are all different.
On a final note, many customers ask me how I broke my ankle. One lady asked me if I did it pole dancing lol!!! I am seriously thinking of telling people that this is how I did it but the real story is that I broke it while ice skating. Sadly, I will never ice skate again... but if you go ice skating, my one bit of advice is WATCH OUT FOR THE LITTLE KIDS WHO MAY RUN INTO YOU. And if they do run into you just let yourself fall down, don't fight it and try to stay standing :)



No comments:

Post a Comment